It’s now officially less than 3 weeks till the wedding. Everyone around me seems to be getting really excited. Personally, I just wanted to get this done and over with so I can move onto something else. Every single one of my pay cheques for the last 4-5 months have been consumed by various wedding prep stuff.
I have to say the single point of the most stress was in the dress. Right from the beginning when I ordered the dress, the stress was that I wasn’t even going to receive this thing. After finally getting it, the initial fit wasn’t bad. I liked the dress as it was very pretty, however, I really didn’t like the mermaid silhouette. So for the next 3 weeks I just fretted over it. I wanted to find a different dress, but didn’t want to spend the extra money; I was concerned the form fitting in the hips won’t allow me to walk or move, etc etc.
That being said, every time I looked at the dress it was still the prettiest thing I had seen compared to any other dress I had looked at afterwards. So over the weekend I finally hunkered down and decided to alter the dress. This whole process was an added stress since the fiance insisted he does not want to see the dress before the wedding. This, is incredibly difficult to accomplish since he works from home and NEVER leaves the house. I could never get any time with the dress alone to actually work on it. So over the weekend I essentially said: “I don’t care where you go, but you need to leave the house for 8 hours.” Grumpily, he complied.
The first thing I did was adjust my newly acquired dress form to my height while wearing the heels I will be wearing and then pinned the dress to the form. The most stressful part was ripping the existing seams and cutting off the excess material. One wrong cut and it’s irreversible and I have zero prior skills in altering a wedding dress. I found the easiest way to do this was to pull the hem all the way to the floor and cut with the scissors right against the floor. This gave me about 3/4 inch to an inch to fold up the hem.
The next hard part was making sure both layer of tulle and the satin as well as the lining all lined up. I decided I didn’t want to shorten the train so I had to taper the cut from the front to the back so it still formed a nice elliptical shape.
The day was rather frustrating since I don’t really have s sewing room to work out of, and trying to keep my cats off the tulle was stress all on its own. One of my cat decided he wanted to climb the hall cabinet and ended up pulling the entire thing down and smashing everything on it. Good thing nothing landed on top of him and he escaped without injury. Also managed to accidentally burn myself with the iron… *sigh*.
I also found the tulle cap sleeves to be more annoying than pretty. Initially I had thought my arm and armpit was way too chubby and wanted to cover it up with some sort of sleeves. After trying to make these damn sleeves stay on my shoulders and failing miserably I decided to just cut it off. The end result was actually a lot more sleek looking and I like the dress a lot more now.
After about 8 hours of work I have a wearable dress. However, I can’t really put the darn thing on myself as it’s got a lace up back and heck if I know how to lace this thing on myself. So I guess we’ll just have to wait and see… Also, no pictures or the fiance will flip. But here’s a teaser…