Oh wigs… how I hate wigs. Today’s post will just be about the wig for Agrias. I have to say, the end result I am HUGELY disappointed with. My own fault too.
It all started well. The side long pieces (??) already came at the right length I want so I parted the hair where I wanted and trimmed the bangs. And that looked pretty good.
Then came the braid… oh the braids.
As you can see in the reference picture, Agrias’ braid is extremely full and then tapers down. Trying to achieve this look on fake hair is damn near impossible.
I did some research and a French fish tail braid would normally do the job so that’s what I started with.
And the loose parts were where I tried to tug the pieces loose to make it more poofy. Yea, turns out on slippery kanekalon fiber is this is the stupidest thing to do. The weight of the hair simply pulls the braid tight too much.
So, try number 2… This time I tried a 5 strand braid. Hoping the extra strand wold help add to the volume. Again, I wasn’t happy even after tugging on some outside pieces to make up the volume.
The problem is I’ve always had an idea of what to do to make the braid have the look I want, I just couldn’t get it to actually do it. The trick I figured was to stuff the hair. Much like using a hair rat or hair donut to add volume to real hair. And to enclose the hair rat, I will need to make cord braid like a braided climbing rope. So, the actual braid is called a 8 strand braid around a core. The actual number of strands don’t really matter, but obviously the more strands the more “pattern” it will create from the braiding. What’s important is the ability to have the hair go around a core, which will be the hair rat.
Unfortunately… 1, I didn’t know how to secure the hair rate to the hair and 2, I didn’t seem to have enough hair to work with to fully cover the hair rat. Yes, it looks like sh*t. *sigh*. You live and you learn. I had never thought I need to have wig styling as a skill. (and I clearly do not possess).
So, after screwing up multiple times, the wig was incredibly tangled and I ended up trimming 4 inches off the end and went with a standard 3 strand French braid. It is NOT how I wanted it to turn out… oh well. I couldn’t afford to mess around with the hair any more. I will may be recreate this wig in the future when I have a bit more skill under my belt.
In other news, I did go get a few more supplies recently so I guess I can consider it retail therapy.